Learning to Dance in the Sand.

Hey there.  We have been enjoying tourist free beaches and the beauty of relaxation on the emerald coast. In the past two years, I have fallen in love with the ocean. I have fallen in love with the days my family spends the entire day on the beach, the days of relaxation, wave jumping, the salt, and yes even the sand. You may say I hate sand and I did the first few months here, but like anything you have to adjust, live with it, embrace it and enjoy it. It crazy that something like Sand can teach you so much.




After all God did use the obnoxious, dirty, sand to make precious beautiful pearls. My Papa taught me to get out in nature, even if its just the back yard and enjoy it. Enjoy the magic and the beauty that God created. My life is so much more peaceful and less stressful when I enjoy the simple beauty of sand. 

I have been trying more recipes and trying to stick to better, healthier options. Here is a go to casserole. It is easy, you can make it the night before and its yummy!!

Enchilada Casserole:

1 tb. canola oil ( I use coconut oil)
1 medium onion diced
1 medium zucchini grated
1 19 ounces can of black beans drained and rinsed.
1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes ( i use fresh if available)
 1 1/2 cups of corn fresh or frozen
1 tea cumin
1/2 tea salt
12 corn tortillas quartered
1 19 ounce can of enchilada sauce ( i make this homemade; see below)
1 1/4 cup of cheese

Preheat oven to 400. lightly coat a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Heat a large non stick pot over medium to high heat. Add onion and cook stirring often about 5 min. Stir in zucchini , beans, tomatoes, corn, cumin and salt. Cook about 3 min. 
Layer the 9 x 13 pan with half of the tortillas. put half the mixture of vegetables on top then top with half the enchilada sauce and half the cheese and then do another layer the same way. 
Bake on 400 degrees for 20-30 min. 

Enchilada sauce:
(this can be placed in freezer )
3 TB canola
1 TB flour
2 Tb chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 1/2 cup chicken broth
8 oz can of tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
salt to taste 

Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 min. Stirring often. 

** I often add carrots grated to casserole to sneak in another vegetable. Top it with sour cream and/ or avocado


Mattie will be 4 before we know it! I am trying to soak in the days of having a two and three year old. While difficult, it is also so rewarding and their friendship is a true gift. I hope all the sand of the world isn't weighing you down, but making you appreciate life and find joy in the journey. 

all my love, Melanie

Comments

Popular Posts